Monday, January 16, 2012

Spring Race Schedule

It's funny how races tend to accumulate. I clearly remember thinking, sometime in November, that after the Kiawah Marathon, I wouldn't have anything to train for. I had absolutely nothing on tap for 2012, and had no idea what my spring race calendar would look like.

Fast forward a couple months. I'm now planning on (and registered for!) three half marathons in three months, and possibly a full in June as well.

Crazy? Yeah, probably, but this is the way I see it: next year, when I start medical school, my life will most likely revolve around studying, sleeping, and eating. While I'll definitely stay active, I have a feeling it will be more like let's-run-a-5k active than let's-run-a-marathon active. Thus, I my as well do heaps of long distance running now, while I have time and energy on my side. (At the very least, this is what I tell myself to justify race entry fees...)

But anyway! Spring race schedule! Let's go!

1. Disney Princess Half Marathon
This has been on my "running bucket list" (yes, I have a running bucket list...) for years now. All women run? Through Disney World? In tutus? Sign me up! When my amazing friend Suzanne mentioned she was doing this race, it took all of 2.4 seconds for me to decided to do it with her. True, it's a bit pricey, and true, it's a bit of a logistical nightmare, but....it's Disney! So, so, so excited.



2. DC Rock n' Roll Half Marathon
While Disney is going to be a fun/silly/fantabulous run, DC is going to be my chance to give it all I've got. I'm thinking sub-1:50....but we shall see.


3. Kentucky Derby Half Marathon
My dad's run this several times and only has good things to say. This time, when he mentioned he was signing up to run it again, I decided to join him. The last time my dad and I ran together, I walked away with a shiny new PR, so I'm hoping this race will bring on some faster times as well :)


4. Undetermined June Marathon
I still haven't signed up for a June Marathon, so I'm not 100% sold on this. To be honest, the Kiawah Marathon left me tired, sore, and a bit burnt out. I love running, but I'm not sure I have it in me-- physically or mentally-- to take on another 26.2 just yet.

Of course, if I am going to run another Marathon, I should probably do it now, before starting med school, so we shall see!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a bunch of FUN races.

    I need to figure out a fall marathon to run... it'll be good to have one penciled in the calendar for the motivation to train after not running for months and months (and months)!!

    ReplyDelete